Monday 6 February 2006

Of Fireworks and Japanese

Every weekend I'm in Subang. And every time I'm there, I'd most probably be eating aside from shopping. So, yesterday I was at Uncle Lim's Kopitiam, and I ordered Asam Laksa and Roti Bakar. And the table beside me sat a lady whom I didn't really look at. Than her husband and her son came. And they started conversing in Japanese. So, as I'm fascinated by the language, I turned and looked at her, and gosh, was she pretty! I guess it's in their blood. But that's not the main point. The thing was they were reading the menu and here's what I heard, if my weak command of the language bid me well:

Son: Roti bakar?
Father: Yes, it's a Malay word.
Son: Bakar? Haha.
Father: And this is Ah-sum Lak-ser.
Son: Oh. But roti bakar? What a funny word!

In case you don't know, 'bakar' sounds really similar to 'baka', which means idiot in Japanese. So, yeah, adorable. Though it might sound rotund to you, but... uh, never mind.

Did any of you get some peaceful shuteye yesterday night? I'm sure I didn't. A neighbour staying across my road was having a big CNY farewell, with a bang - literally. And on the right, somewhere further, there was another fireworks show. In addition to that, if you look straight ahead, you can see firecrackers illuminating the sky. But they were very, very noisy! It was like forever. And my dog was stuck outside because she kept on barking at the fireworks, and if she's in the room, it'd be impossible to sleep. So, anyway, just be a little considerate when you're playing fireworks in the wee hours of the morning. Not everyone's celebrating CNY, you know.

1 comment:

Lady Knight said...

Ah man that's funny about the Japs. Well duh during CNY some ppl can be really annoying playing firecrackers and disturbing our sleep... Not to mention that when they got injured they start wailing, further creating more noise... ^^

School start already eh? Ganbatte...