Saturday 10 October 2009

I Am A Secondary School Graduate XD

Today was Graduation Day for all Form 5s. I remember Nicole telling me how everyone was crying and it was such an emotional time at their graduation last year. And I thought to myself, "Ha! I definitely won't be one of those tearing up at graduation. It would take more than that to make me cry." Hehe. Yah lah. I'm heartless and emotionless. Sue me. Haha.

I had to shake hands with so many people (mostly strangers - which include both other people's parents and teachers whom I did not have the pleasure of knowing). I could feel my fake smile. It felt so not genuine lah. Lol. At the end of it, a lot of students were crying and all. I didn't feel anything lah. Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with my emotional circuit. Haha. Like there's a loose wire or something. How come I'm not moved by things like this? My five years in secondary school mean a whole lot to me, and yet as I am reminded (in a big, in-your-face, annual official school event like this), I feel... NOTHING. I was wondering what the big deal was. Heck, we'll be seeing all these teachers on Wednesday. But I guess that's where I missed the point of this whole Hari Graduasi.

But one thing today did to me was it made me think of those five years and what actually made them mean a lot to me. No, it was not because of the amount of knowledge I gleaned from five years of academic torture. Haha. It was, without a doubt, the friends and the teachers. That thought didn't make me feel sappy and teary-eyed. I guess five years is just right. It's not too short and it's not too long. It's short enough to make you go, "OK, that's it. Five years is my limit. Time to get out of this pinafore." And it's long enough to make you go, "Alright. That was enough. Five years was enough for me to make memories that will last a lifetime."

I thought that I would miss secondary school and it would be a challenge for me to move out of this comfort zone. With school, it was so easy. I'm placed in this confined space where I go to five days a week. I learn a fixed amount of subjects and am given the flexibility to take additional subjects. I can take whatever extracurricular activities according to my fancy. All I have to do is wear a pinafore and abide to the rules made by the school authorities. Simple enough. Five years of your life settled as such.

However, as the year inches closer to an end, I am raring to get out of these past five years so dominated by routine and pattern. I am ready to say goodbye to tuitions and study in an air-conditioned environment. Haha. Secondary school will always be what it is - a special time of my life that taught me to live, laugh and love. And it's gonna be over soon. My time is up. And that's OK. Cause I had just enough time. =)

P.S. Now that I am a secondary school graduate, I believe that I no longer need to abide by the school rules. So, people, let's all dress in our casuals and I'll see you in school this Wednesday. Haha! =D

No comments: