Sunday 22 May 2005

Music Recommendations

I don't know why I've been listening to lots of music nowadays. Anyway, here are some recommendations for those of you who have similar tastes with me. Recently, I've been hearing Missy Higgins' one-hit wonder, "Ten Days" from her debut album, The Sound of White. Her vocals are obviously paired with an Australian twang, so it's kinda fun hearing her sing.

I know I've mentioned Howie Day before, but he really is good! "Collide" is easily his best song, and I think I know why, because it's such a nice listen. His vocals are quite rough at the edges, but it makes for a wonderful time listening to it, nonetheless.

And there's also Jack Johnson. I've also been hearing him a number of times. Most of the time, I listen to "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" from In Between Dreams. And although he is only close to MTV material, his music is pretty good. And he should be given a pat on the back for his commendable efforst. I've also watched the "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" video. It was kinda weird at the ending, but it was creative, no doubt.

On the list is also Emiliana Torrini, the voice of "Gollum's Song" from the LOTR soundtrack. At first hear, her voice may sound slimy due to the portrayal of Gollum in your head, but do not be mistaken, for appearances are deceiving. Emiliana has such well-done vocals that they might come as nicely-laced at the sides. I particularly enjoy listening to "Sunny Road" from Fisherman's Woman. You should watch the video too, directed by Ali Taylor. The animation was mind-blowing. It was such a beautiful video that I didn't mind watching it again.

Damien Rice, an Irish singer, is well worth the mention. His album, O has sparked off many wonderful listens, such as "The Blower's Daughter" (also from the film, Closer's original motion picture soundtrack), "Volcano" and the heart-tugging "Aimee". More songs to look forward to from soundtracks are Mick Jagger's "Old Habits Die Hard" from Alfie. It's a tap-your-feet-to-the-rhythm song.

Do not forget James Blunt, the American rising star. Songs such as "High", "You're Beautiful" and "Wisemen" are absolute faves. They're all from his album, Back to Bedlam. One other musician who might be categorized in James' same genre is David Berkeley, who spurned "Jefferson", "Fire Sign" and "Stillness" from his album, After the Wrecking Ships. However, "Jefferson" still appeals to me more than the other two.

Not forgetting Ed Harcourt! Songs such as "Apple of My Eye", "She Fell Into My Arms", "This One's for You", "The Birds Will Sing for Us" and "Loneliness" are quite good tracks. Rosie Thomas's "Paper Airplane" is a relaxing, soft hit for anyone who needs a break.

I would like to mention Jamie Cullum too, of Twentysomething fame. Two songs of his really made me a fan of his; namely, "All at Sea" and "Singin' in the Rain". Check him out, too.

Jason Mraz isn't new, for sure, but his songs sure are. "Wordplay" from Mr. A-Z really means its title. Jason sure does play with the words in his trademark blabbering-fast style. It might seem loud at first due to the drum solo, but that's pop.

Also check out Michael Buble, dubbed the new Frank Sinatra. His newest album, It's Time has released some hit singles, namely the self-composed "Home", a favourite of mine. Also worth the mention is "Quando, Quando, Quando" featuring folk singer, Nelly Furtado. A wonderful combination resulting in a commendable cover of the former oldie.

Hayley Westenra, a long-forgotten young musician's "Who Painted the Moon Black" is fine for Enya fans. But, other than that, I dare not hear the rest of her music.

Don't miss out on Gorillaz, the cartoon band. They are back with a brand new album! Yes, the well-known four-piece are out with Demon Days that contains my most cherished track, "Feel Good Inc". I certainly do feel good hearing this song. The beginning bass solo is cool, but make sure that you don't get put off by the opening laughter, it's just a joke. So, welcome back, Gorillaz, missed you all this time.

I think that's all I can give so far. Make sure to check all the aforementioned musicians if you have taste in music like mine. Might give you a real happy time.


No comments: