Friday 27 May 2005

Wonderful Beginnings and Tragic Endings

It's so sad. American Idol has just ended. But, luckily for me, I caught the repeat of the final. And it was SUPERB! It keeps reminding me how much a mo langs can do, and how little we Malaysians are capable of. "Malaysia Boleh!" konon. Anyway, enough insulting our country, I am very surprised and also happy because it is apparent that this year's American Idol has been the best so far. Before the announcement of the winner, they planned so much stuff to do in two hours. That's so amazing.

First, there was a song by the 10 finalists apart from the final 2. Then, they also had a video on Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell ... that was the only sick thing about it. But I guess it's all for the good of entertainment. I don't remember clearly, but here are snips of my memory. The top 12 finalists, including the final 2 got to sing with the celebrity guest stars: Rascal Flatts, Kenny G, George Benson, Billy Preston, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Lynyrd Skynyrd ... and I think that was all. The best are obviously the final 2, Carrie Underwood's "Bless the Broken Road" with Rascal Flatts; and Bo Bice who sang "Sweet Home Alabama", accompanied by rock band, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Besides, Bo comes from Helena, Alabama too! It was really nice. And there was one outstanding performance, by Constantine Maroulis (my fave), Nadia Turner and Jessica Sierra, where they were in tight black leather and Constantine looked so much the rocker. They were accompanied with electric guitar by Kenny Wayne Shepherd, who did magic on the electric guitar.

There was also a teasing video on Simon Cowell. It was about his darkest secrets, where he took phone calls from a mystery caller ... and whom he smothered with disgusting, mushy words. Steve Edwards, who went undercover, interviewed fellow judges Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul, there were also a character played by Constantine, who starred as restaurant owner Steven Popodopoulous. Yeah, in the end, the mystery lover was ... ah ha! Simon himself. He was in love with himself. Okay, whatever.

I think that's everything special featured in the two-hour special. But, the announcement was nerve-wracking. Either Bo or Carrie were good enough. Whichever one who won was okay, because, seriously, they deserved it. They had equal chances. "The winner of
American Idol 2005 is ... " As Ryan Seacrest said this, everyone held their breath. " ... Carrie Underwood!" There was a roar of triumph and Carrie breaked into tiny tears. Bo sportingly hugged her and said something to her. Yes, the small-town farm girl from Checotah, Oklahoma was the next American Idol. Her warm smile and endearing personality has made her a fan favourite. And she also got her own Marquis private jet. So cool!

That was
American Idol. That was the "Wonderful Beginnings" part. Now, for the second part. After American Idol, I decided to watch The Contender with my brother, since it was the semi finals. The game was between Sergio Mora and Jesse Brinkley. I wanted Jesse to win, but my brother was rooting for Sergio. There were seven rounds, consisting of a minute each. It was so kan cheong, you know! I was practically jumping in my seat. There was a round where the stupid Sergio went and punched poor Jesse in the eye and breaked open his former stitches. Ouch! That must've hurt bucket-loads. In the end, "The winner by unanimous decision," announced the ringmaster, "is who you call the Latin Snake, Sergio Mora!" Stupid, stupid, stupid! But, Jesse, has a sporting sportsman sportingly hugged Sergio, and said, "Congratulations in Vegas, bro." And Sergio replied with a, "Thank you, man. Thanks." What a tragic ending for Jesse. I just hope he won't commit suicide like Najai Turpin, who took his life when he lost a boxing game, in The Contender too. So, I'm looking forward to the final, where the Latin Snake will fight with Peter Manfredo Jr., who beat Alfonso Gomez before. I don't know who I want to win. Most probably Peter, because I hate Sergio, although Peter has a weird nose. Okay, whatever.


No comments: