Sunday 6 December 2009

The Clock Ticks Time Away

A lot of people in church asked me this: "So, excited or not?" Cause SPM is gonna end on Tuesday for me lah. Everytime anyone asks me that, I actually have to stop and think, and my answer is just a shrug. I'm not excited. I don't feel anything. I guess I will be - or I am - happy. I dunno. Haha.

SPM has really shown me how time flies, literally. I don't think I've ever been more aware of time and how quickly it passes me by. Just sometime ago I was counting down 25 papers and 12 subjects. Now I've got 3 papers and 1 subject left. How did I get here? From 18th November to 6th December. Did I blink and miss everything? Lol. It was so fast. Too fast.

I know that when I started SPM I knew that it would be over and done with soon enough. But when I was in the second week, I felt like it was taking so long that I wouldn't be surprised if I grew older by another two years already. And then I finished the third week, and I was stumped. What? I only have one more day of SPM left? Oh no, oh no... It's ending. My last day of school for the rest of my life is coming and I don't know what to do. How do I make it special? Take my time and pack my bag (and risk Jessica nagging me to hurry up and why I'm suddenly taking such a long time to pack)? Walk extremely slowly down the stairs (and brace myself for the many whispered complaints from the people behind me who wanna get out of school as quickly as possible)? Haha.

I guess trying to make it special will make it not special. When you try to make your last school day special by doing all kinds of things that you normally wouldn't do, then it's not special anymore. Cause what makes it special is it's your last day doing what you always do in school. Packing your school bag at your normal pace, walking down the stairs and laughing with your friends... The one thing that's gonna change is that you'll stop and turn to look at your school one last time before you step out the school gates. Don't rush out. I hope you don't rush out. Don't get caught up in all the joy of finishing SPM that you forget to stop and look at your school for the last time. It's the last time you'll ever feel that comfortable, like you belong here. Cause the next time you step into this school, it's not your school anymore. It's not the same anymore. You're not a school student. That time's long gone. So... don't rush out lah OK? Haha.

No comments: