Tuesday 15 December 2009

The Little Prince

Just wanted to share some of my favourite quotes from a beloved book, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery:

I did not really know what to say. I felt like a blundering idiot. I did not know how to reach him, where to catch up with him. It is such a secret place, the land of tears.

It is lonely when you're among people, too.


To me, you are still only a small boy and I have no need of you. And you in turn have no need of me. To you, I'm just a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you shall be unique in the world. To you, I shall be unique in the world.


There is no shop where friends can be bought, so people no longer have friends. If you want a friend, tame me. You have to be very patient. First, you will sit down a short distance away from me. I shall watch you and you will say nothing; words are the source of misunderstandings. But each day you may sit a little closer to me.


Happiness has its price.


You are nothing like my rose. As yet you are nothing at all. You are beautiful but you are empty. One could not die for you. My rose, in herself, matters more than all of you together.


Now here is my secret: you can only see things clearly with your heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.


It is the time you have wasted on your rose that makes your rose so important.


What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it is hiding a well.


When you have got over your loss (for we always do), you'll be happy to have known me. You will always be my friend.

No comments: