Thursday 17 December 2009

To Dare, To Risk, To Chance

Ah! I haven't been posting as much as I did in November. Haha. Oh no. I don't wanna lose my serial blogger streak. So here I am, trying to think of what I want to say. I'm sitting in front of the monitor and wondering what thoughts are going to flow out of my head. This is exciting. Lol. Just sitting and waiting.

*

OK. Let's ask some questions. Have you taken any risks in life? Any chances? Do something crazy or well, maybe not crazy, just something you wouldn't usually do? To me, taking a risk is doing something you wouldn't do. It's something that gives you a rush and makes you feel alive.

It can range from the weirdest and extreme things to the simple and complex decisions we need to make everyday. I've eaten a cricket skewered on a stick. I've bungee jumped straight into a lake. I've danced my heart away in front of a crowd although it made me look demented. I've walked in the rain without an umbrella and ran the risk of inducing the failure of my weak immune system. Those are weird and extreme. And then there are the other risks you take. Deciding what to do with your life after school. Contemplating whether or not you should give your heart to this one person. Letting your feelings unravel in front of people. Taking up a challenge you're not sure you're cut out for. And one other thing for me, choosing what to eat. Lol.

Taking chances is a scary thing. 'Cause it puts you out of your comfort zone. A part of you wants to stay safe and secure. The other part of you is excited and longing to know what will happen if you take that chance. The feeling that you get when you take a risk is very much like bungee jumping. When I went bungee jumping, they brought me high, high up. From that point I could see above everything else. My arms are open wide, ready to grab the air as I fall. Then I took the plunge and fell straight down. It was so exhilarating that I couldn't even find my voice in order to scream. Then I start swinging like a pendulum and everything's upside down. Haha. But I see everything right side up again.

It's a wonderful thing when you take a risk. And the kind of risks I'm talking about is when you're following your heart. It's scary at first, but it always turns out OK. When the risks you take are ones that you are motivated by with all your heart, then you will not regret it. Because the risks and the chances that you take make you who you want to be. If you don't take the risk, you'll always wonder and feel like you should've done this or that. The saddest sentences always start with, "If only... "

Risks open up a world of possibility. Just like when I stood high above the world with my arms wide open, so when I take a risk, I stand above the world of possibility with my arms wide open. It gives me hope and belief. And that's what we all need, isn't it? So often we are held back by what we think are our limitations. But these limitations are imaginary. They are only in your head. And they have a name: fear. What you ought to listen to is in your heart. There is something big in you waiting to happen. And only when you believe that you can do everything you want to do and be everything you want to be, then the time will come. Each and every one of your dreams will come true one day.

To dare, to risk, to chance is to lose your footing momentarily. It is to hang in the balance only by a thread. It is to jump into the deep end knowing that you have small lungs, like me. Lol. It is to throw yourself off a cliff when you only have a rough idea of how to fly. But to dare, to risk, to chance is most of all, to live.

No comments: