Thursday 26 November 2009

The Giving Tree

Here's a story that I'd like to share. It's called "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. It's about a tree and a boy who are the best of friends during an idyllic childhood where he eats apples from the tree, climbs her trunk, swings from her branches and rests in her shade. Then things chance - as things always do - and the boy approaches the tree at all the various stages of his life, caught up more in wanting and needing from the tree than in just being with the tree. Each time has has a "need," the tree obliges and is happy for having done so. She doesn't have much, but gives all she has until eventually, she is nothing but a stump. At the end of all things, however, it turn outs a stump is just what the old man needs - a quiet place to sit down and rest and reflect. "And the tree was happy. The end."

This story reminds me of my relationship with You. How many times have I only come to You when I was in need. Or prayed to You asking for something for my own benefit. Through the tree, I see Your complete love to the point of emptying Yourself of all You are for me. Your unquestioning sacrifice, even for someone who isn't appreciating or understanding of what they have been given. All You want is just to be with the ones You love. The immensity of what You did on the cross is so overwhelming!

I've read somewhere before that says, "God died for You because He didn't want to live without you." You died for me because You didn't want to live without me. I don't ever want to do anything to break Your heart. I don't ever want to fall out with You and stray on my own path. I don't ever want anything in life that is not what You want for me. I don't ever want anything else but You.

No comments: